Friday, May 13, 2016

Book Review - Falling Light, By Dayana Morency

I hope that you are all having a great May.  The end of the month is going to bring on some great book reviews.  I have been reading a lot more, trying to distract myself from the real world.  Isn't that what books are for? 

Review....






Book Title: Falling Light
Author: Dayana Morency
Publishing Date: March 8, 2016
Page/Word Count: 324 pages

BLURB:

When seventeen-year-old Rosalynn Young pictured her summer vacation, she didn't think she would be spending it working as a maid at the Millennium Hotel. She imagined painting and gardening. But soon, in spite of her disappointment, she meets Victor Gregoire. Wayward and enigmatic, he sends a chill up her spine. Everything about him feels foreign--unearthly.

Dangerously drawn to Victor, Rosalynn willfully ignores his volatile mood swings. When she impulsively enters Victor's room, she finds a journal dating back to the 19th Century and a photograph of him from August 14, 1874.

He's hiding something sinister and she's desperate to find out what, even if it means risking everything. But Rosalynn fails to realize that her attraction to Victor comes at a price and she soon learns some secrets are better kept hidden.

She's in for the summer job of a lifetime.

Pros: Great story idea, great characters
Cons: ran a bit fast, not always easy to follow
Overall rating: It was good, but it edges on something I might not recommend.

Review:

I was given this book on the condition that I would given an honest review.  
I think this book has great potential.  The story line is great and the characters are good.  I just struggled at times with the book as a whole.  I think that there were times that things got rushed.  I also think that some parts moved too slow.  

The characters were good, but I think that there was something lacking between them as they interact.  I just did not feel connected to Rosalynn at all.  And her relationship with Victor seems rushed and doesn't feel right to me.  I think that it needs to be draw out a bit, explain things better.  

I think with the right changes this could be the start to a great new series.  I don't know if the author wants to make it into one, but there is potential here with the right work.  I think changing up the flow of things and rehashing the story would make it flow better, and not feel as rushed.  It has a great base to work with but I think that the execution was just lacking.  Nothing that can't be fixed.

Stars:



Amazon Link: Buy It Here
Goodreads Link: Clink Here

No comments:

Post a Comment